Tuesday, June 9, 2009

A Few of My Favorite Things

Horse of Course has a friendly challenge going. The best kind, if you ask me, because we get to think and write about our favorite horsey things.

This was more challenging than I expected! I knew I should really narrow it down to my very favorites and that required some thought. I expect they would change a bit if I owned my own horse, but not by a lot.

First on the list is Vet Wrap. It is not strictly a horsey thing but it's versatility is exactly why it makes my list. With it's ability to stick to itself and nothing else, it's perfect stretchiness allowing for different amounts of tension and the multitude of colours available, it is perfect for wrapping wounds in even awkward locations or simply keeping a tail clean and tangle free for a time. I would argue it's better than duct tape.One of the best purchases I made last year was a synthetic girth like this one. I was worried about buying a synthetic girth but I also didn't want to spend the money on a leather one. I love the way it moves with the horse, stays pliable and is easy to clean. It makes me happy every time I tack up. Note: I have heard that it is possible for a horse to have a reaction to the neoprene. Although no one I know who uses them has ever had a problem, it is something to be aware of, especially when first trying them out.

As a kid, I never rode in gloves except in the winter and they were not riding gloves. I'm not sure why, I just didn't need them I guess. Now, I really appreciate a good glove and I only ride glove-free on the occasional fun hack. I've used a number of types and my current pair the Ariat® Pro Grip Leather Glovesare my favorite. The leather is super-soft but has been very strong too. The thing I like most is that I don't feel like I'm wearing gloves at all. That is the mark of good equipment!




Finally, I have a very common grooming tool - the mane and tail comb. I have a "thing" for tangle-free manes and tails, so this is one of my favorite tools. Whether it's a newer model with rolling teeth like the Grooma comb or a plain old plastic comb, I love the finished product!


I hope you've enjoyed my list of favorites! This exercise made me realize how much I love almost everything associated with our equine partners.

5 comments:

HorseOfCourse said...

This is fun!
As you say, the problem is to choose...

I agree re. the vet raps. It is so much easier to put a bandage on with them.

I also have a synthetic girth, and like it very much. It is super easy to clean, and with elastic inserts to the girth buckles it must be more comfortable for the horse too.

But then we come to the cultural difference:
Mane COMB?
Hm.
I use a stiff brush, and also spray some detanglerer/show shine on it before I use it. Then it detangles nicely, and it doesn't pull out much hair from the tail.
Isn't it diffucult to use a comb?

RuckusButt said...

Interesting about the mane comb, I hope we hear from others. I also use a plastic curry if the mane/tail isn't too bad. For hair that is more challenging I like the comb. I find it allows greater precision and you can work one section at a time. It is somewhat difficult, even with detangler (on the tough ones) but I haven't found an easier way. What type of stiff brush do you use exactly?

HorseOfCourse said...

Like this:
http://horze.com/product_info.php?products_id=26002&n=M1
But in normal size.

RuckusButt said...

Wow, I'm surprised that gets the tangles out enough. I will use a dandy brush on the tail if the tail is already in good shape but if it hasn't been thoroughly brushed in a while I don't think it would be as efficient as a comb. Maybe I don't use as much detangler :)

HorseOfCourse said...

Detangler helps ;)
But I agree with you, if you get stuck with a tail that has been left on its own for some time, then you might need to combine it with a curry. Or a comb!