Ok, so mostly lovely. It will be better once the
fence height is added to and the trees are back in
leaf! But the neighbours are nice and the
snow is beautiful.
Now, we must not forget our loyal canine companions this time of year! So, a batch of dog cookies extraordinaire were in order for our Hazel, aka Ruckusbutt.
1/3 Cup (75ml) butter (or margarine), softened
3 Cups (750 ml) whole wheat flour
1/2 Cup powdered skim milk
1/4 tsp (1ml) garlic powder (optional)
3/4 Cup (175 ml) water, room temp
1 egg, beaten
~you can add around 1/4 to 1/2 Cup of "something else". I add peanut butter because dogs just love it but I only have the natural kind with just peanuts, no salt or sugar. Hazel thinks that's just fine. I also add a tablespoon or so of herbs, usually parsley.
1. In large mixing bowl, cream margarine and flour together.
2. Dissolve powdered milk (and garlic, if using) in water and whisk in egg.
3. Make a well in flour mixture and gradually stir in egg mixture until well blended.
4. Knead dough on floured surface, about 3-4 minutes, until dough sticks together and is easy to work with.
5. With a rolling pin, roll dough to between 1/4" and 1/2" thickness.
6. Cut with either cookie cutters or into rectangles appropriately sized for your dog and put on greased cookie sheet.
7. Bake at 325F (160C) for about 50 minutes.
Cool well and put in storage container. Keeps well for several weeks.