Thursday, March 24, 2011

Single-Handed Self-Destruction.

That's right. My hand destroyed itself. My right hand, to be precise. No interference from my left hand necessary, just my right hand. Well, my hand and an inanimate object.

There I was, sipping my herbal tea after a ride. When it's cold I usually pour the boiling water into my travel mug before I leave the house and by the time I'm done riding it has usually cooled enough to drink. So there I was, some barn gear slung over my shoulder, some clutched in my left hand, holding my mug of tea and looking out into the night. It was a clear night and the stars were bright. I was taking a moment to just be.

I absentmindedly fiddled with the leather wrap-around on the mug. It was off kilter, you see. Supporting the mug between my thumb, index, and middle fingers, I pushed down on the leather band with my ring finger to try to push it down. I could feel tension in my hand but no pain.

*SNAP*

I looked down at my hand in disbelief. I wouldn't have believed a snap that loud could come from a hand if it wasn't for the intense pain and heat radiating through it and into the tips of my fingers. My ring finger kinda rested apart from the others in this strange limp rigidity.

Of course the tendon I blew would be a rein finger.


I think it was the juncturae tendinum between the 
ring and pinky fingers as well as a flexor tendon 
on the inside of my ring finger.


This was the Friday before last. I still have to "buddy wrap" my fingers together if I'm doing anything because when I don't, I re-injure myself. Like yesterday when I foolishly picked up a blanket. Yeah, that's right, a blanket set me back about 3 days.

So I'm pretty grumpy. I have only ridden twice since then. I got out an old pair of gloves and I tape my fingers together from the outside. It works ok but I lost sensitivity on that side, hopefully it's temporary. I tried to ride with the rein exiting out the very bottom but I just can't do it.

On a happier note, here is a video of the puppy stealing one of my riding socks from the bathroom floor. Oh, and I couldn't stand the grey anymore, so I put in a new temporary design.

No comments: