Sunday, October 25, 2009

New experiences lead to new meals.


I had a pretty interesting experience last week.


Turns out I'm a pretty good shot!


After that, I needed a good meal as I was outside all afternoon and it was pretty cold. I had chicken breasts but didn't know what to do with them. Chicken can get a little boring, so I looked up a recipe to try something new. The chicken recipe is modified from 'The Best of the Best" from the Best of Bridge series.

Honey Mustard Chicken served with Mushrroom-Rapini steam-fry and Quinoa.


Chicken
2 skinless, boneless breasts
1/4 C. honey
1 Tbsp olive oil
1/4 C dijon mustard
1 tsp curry powder
pinch cayenne powder

Note: I don't really measure anything, so these measurements are approximate. You can easily adjust the quantity for more or less chicken or to your taste.

Place chicken in ovenproof dish and pour a little less than half the sauce on top (start with the "nice" side up). Bake in a 375*C oven for about 15 minutes. Turn chicken over and glaze with sauce again, reserving just enough to glaze lightly one more time.  At this point, it's good to scrape some of the reduced sauce from the bottom of the dish, mix it with the new sauce and baste over top, the colour and flavor is better. Bake another 15-20 minutes. Turn once more, mix some more new glaze with the carmelized glaze in the pan and baste over top. Bake for another 5 minutes or so (I turned the oven up a touch just to brown the top a little more but this could differ for you, I'm still not used to my oven!)

Mushrooms and Rapini
Onion, garlic, mushrooms, rapini

Saute onion and garlic in a little olive oil plus a small bit of butter. Add mushrooms (+ salt & pepper) and saute over high heat until browned. Lower heat. Add rapini and cover for 2 minutes. Toss everything together and serve immediately.

Prepare Quinoa as directed (2:1 ratio is usually good).








4 comments:

HorseOfCourse said...

Mmmm, looks delicious!

Chelsi said...

Oh! Sounds nummy!! Best of Bridges, best of the best! lol...I have a few of those kicking around getting dusty, maybe it is time to crack one open and try a recipe.

Once Upon an Equine said...

Yum, curry! Looks delicious. Thanks for the recipe. And good job at the shooting range!

RuckusButt said...

You know, I almost never open a cookbook so I think it's great to dust one off once in awhile and just pick a recipe.

The curry spice in this one is VERY subtle, you wouldn't think of it as "curry" really. It just adds a little 'je ne sais quoi' to the dish.

Thanks OnceUpon, it was actually a fun experience. I thought I'd feel weird about the guns but it wasn't. I guess I'm used to focusing on detail and accuracy.