Saturday, April 25, 2009

Edgar Updates

I've been having some good rides on Edgar. He is getting into shape much faster than I expected, we are still taking it slow but it's clear he isn't getting tired as quickly. He is also traveling much straighter and I don't feel like I am constantly adjusting his direction - he is going where he's pointed (well, mostly...).

I also tried something new. I don't know if it was the "right" thing to do, I just went with the moment. So, Edgar was going along quite nicely, no shenanigans, when he decides to bolt. There was no discernible reason, I think he just feels good and decides to take off. This time, instead of bringing him down right away and circling back to the place where he bolted etc., I let him go. I just rode it, kept myself balanced and stayed out of his way. Within I'd say 10 strides his ears flicked and he went to slow.

Uh-uh, I pushed him on. You wanna run, we're gonna run, I thought. I swear I could feel his surprise! Again, I just rode it, steering a little. The next time he tried to slow I got after him again, just to make sure he got the point. And he did, I think. I then asked/allowed him to slow and we walked on quietly and I continued with circles, transitions etc. Not another bolt, just a nice, attentive horse. I had to giggle.

I am supposed to be heading up to the barn soon but 1) husband isn't home with car yet (grrr) and 2) it looks like rain, again (double grrr).


Have a good weekend!

6 comments:

Chelsi said...

Good job! LOL...dont you just LOVE when you get to turn their ideas into ours! (and one they dont like)...I love the look they get, like "hey...ah...wait...this isnt what I had in mind!"

HorseOfCourse said...

Bwahaha! Tricked him there for sure!
Nice to hear that he is coming along faster than you expected. It is a time consuming work to get them fit (and learn them to behave!) and is kind of a transportation stretch too - the fun begins in the end, lol!

RuckusButt said...

Ha ha, thanks!

I am glad Edgar is going quite well. The only problem is that I am going to need somewhere better to work him that much faster!

ezra_pandora said...

Ahhhh. I found you! lol I am still in the process of trying to figure out all the blogs I had on my favorites list at my ex-employer. Now I have another :) Not that I forgotten about you by any means. Just temporarily missed you :)

I love Edgar. He's so cute. And I've heard that many times about the making them go when they do something like that. My mare rarely bolts, she balks. So I always have to make her back, but that is lessoning too. It's great he's progressing quickly too!

RuckusButt said...

Hey Ezra, glad you found me. I haven't been over to yours for a bit, it's much easier now that you've made it public again.

Edgar is a character, that's for sure! Now I just want to make sure he keeps progressing...

Once Upon an Equine said...

What is it about our mischievous Fjords that they love to run off so much? Good job with Edgar!