Wednesday, April 11, 2012

All or Nothing.

We took Willy to the clinic yesterday for his follow-up diagnostics to try to figure out his head-shaking.  He had radiographs of his head and an endoscope. Almost everything appeared perfectly normal. My vet did think that his C1 vertebra appeared "flattened and degenerative" but he wanted a radiologist to look at them. So, the radiographs have been sent to St. Hye for their opinion. In the meantime, I'm advised not to ride since it could be dangerous if he does have spinal issues.

I've looked over all the radiiographs on the CD they gave me. Naturally, I didn't understand a thing I was looking at, at first. But after consulting a few reference documents I can at least tell what structures I'm looking at now. I obviously don't have the skill to see anything that is possibly degenerative.

C1 and C2. C2 looks like a parrot head.

Either way, this isn't good news. A lot depends on what the specialists say, but if there is an issue with his C1 than it's likely the end of Will's work under saddle. What happens from there will depend on how much pain they/we think he is experiencing.

If it comes back with nothing, I still have the headshaking with no explanation despite all those diagnostics.  Logically, I know it makes no sense to continue with him if he's got an issue like that, especially not purchase him. But I can't imagine my life without him. What if it resolves? What if I just need to look elsewhere for a cause, like allergies.  I can't imagine how completely everything would change in my life if I had to decide I couldn't/shouldn't continue with him. I don't think I'd want to jump into another lease and certainly I am more shy than ever to purchase a horse I don't know well.

I'm trying hard to stay positive but it seems that it's a bad situation no matter which way it goes. It would be almost easier if there was a spinal problem - then at least the decisions would effectively be made for me.

I should hear back early next week. I guess I will take it from there.


RuckusButt said...

Really, no comments? :-(

Laura said...

I'm here! Hope you get your results from St Hyes sooner rather than later.

RuckusButt said...

Thanks for indulging in my shameless plea for comments, lol.

Anonymous said...

Look into head-shaking syndrome - it can produce symptoms like this, and is usually seasonal - often day-length related. There are treatments that work - usually an anithistimine and sometimes something else. Good luck!